Monday, March 2, 2009

End of an Era

After taking disastrous exams in college, you could usually hear someone say, "Well, it's not the end of the world, just the end of a career." While I haven't taken any disastrous exams, I am at the end of a career. I'm off today due to Texas Independence Day, but tomorrow I will officially tender my letter of resignation with my intent to retire on March 31st. I haven't shed any tears typing up the letter, though I'm sure some will come before I leave, but it's a scary, exciting thing to do, especially in this economy.

25 years ago, my wife and I left our jobs, home and her family in Kentucky to move to Texas and hopefully find a job. We had no prospects or opportunities except to move in with my parents in Odessa, Texas. They were kind enough to let us stay with them for 4 months until I got the job I had hoped I would get with the State of Texas. Though I've had disagreements and disappointments with my time, it's been good, or maybe better to say it's been good for me.

Now, at 53 years old, I find myself facing unemployment while I endeavor to start over again, yet, as Joseph Smith said, "I am calm as a summer's morn." Sure, I know that John D. Lee spoke those word before he was executed, but I feel the same peace I did 25 years ago as I faced the then unknown. I am confident as I trust in the Lord, that He knows exactly what I will be doing in the future, just as He always has, and will watch over me.

Twist