Saturday, April 14, 2007

Next Best Thing




After I won the money on the radio, I emailed a friend about it. I said, "Here is a mathematical statement for you to consider: Half the fun is winning money on the radio, half the fun is spending it and the other half is telling people about it."
I've decided that the next best thing to winning money is getting a good bargain. I love to shop the sales, coupons and garage sales. I think my best was $20 in coupons once, but I've also found some fantastic deals as we've bought clothes at garage sales, amazing bargains at going out of business sales, canoes being phased out at outdoor centers.
One time I found a microfiche reader at a college warehouse sale. We were in the process of putting together a genealogy center at the Church so I asked how much for the reader. They said, how about buying all of them for $25.00. America, what a country. I bought 17 of them, fixed up, cleaned up and donated or sold all of them but a couple I kept for parts.
My brother-in-law asked me, in jest, if I could find him an air compressor and tank. I asked him what color.
I collect belt buckles and get loads of them at garage sales. I have more buckles than most stores where you shop, but I've always wanted one like the picture above with silver, turquise, coral and a bear claw. I usually ask for a napkin to wipe the drool as I look at them in display cases because they are priced around $300. Today at a big, city garage sale I found this one. It was quite tarnished and was missing a bear claw. I asked the lady for a napkin and the price. They nearly had to pick me up off the floor when she said, "Well, we've been asking $20, but since a bear claw is missing, I'll sell it to you for $15."
A few hours later and considerable time polishing and fitting in two matching fake bear claws, I've got the belt buckle I've had my heart set on for years. My only problem is, once you get the fantasy, what do you dream about next?

Twist