Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bread Bowls

My daughter Laura came over today and we were discussing what to eat for dinner, our normal late afternoon discussion here. She had seen the pasta bowls at Domino's Pizza and thought they looked yummy. It just so happens that I purchased some refrigerator rolls yesterday for just such a contingency. We decided that one by itself would not make a very large bowl and smashed two at a time together, rolled them into dough balls and put them in the oven. For future reference that will NOT make a roll of bread sufficiently large to make a bowl thus we ate them like rolls.

I suppose a yeast roll, allowed to rise and of a larger size would work better to make a soup bowl. If anyone has had experience in this area, let me know as we would like to try making them again sometime.

The soup and bread were all good, just didn't work out as planned.

Twist

7 comments:

Delirious said...

I've never tried to make them before, but I think you need alot more dough. I would just make a big ball...like small cantaloupe size. Then but it and hollow it out to put the soup in. And I definitely would use a yeast dough. Although I think refrigerator rolls would work, they are also yeast rolls, you just need to let them warm up and rise.

Delirious said...

Oh, you know Fromagette from Word Joust? She is a bread expert. She could probably give you a good recipe.

Nene said...

Look on
http://thefrostedcupcake.blogspot.com I think I saw some bread bowls on her blog.

Nene said...

Look on
http://thefrostedcupcake.blogspot.com I think I saw some bread bowls on her blog.

Inklings said...

I had a friend who had some small metal bowls. She would wrap the dough around them and bake them somehow, but I have never done it.

Amber said...

I love anything that comes in a bread bowl, the domino's ones are really tasty, they also have them at target's snack area. I don't have a recipe but if you find one you'll have to post it!

Stick said...

I have made bread bowls many times,and it is basically just like Delirious said. You start with a ball of dough about the size of a grapefruit. I bake mine on cookie sheets with six or eight to a pan. Sometimes I use a pie pan, and just drop the dough ball into it. Bake 375 for 20 mnutes or so. Play with the siz to get a bowl the size you want, or just put them in when they have risen close to double.