Monday, April 13, 2009

I'm Listening

My wife took off Wednesday through Friday last week to go to a job fair with me, since we are both seeking new employment. The job fair was Wednesday, but did not have any dramatic results. We decided that since we were off, we would go camping for a few days in the mountains an hour south of Carlsbad Caverns.

As I awoke Thursday morning my wife said," I don't think we should go camping."

Me: "How come?"

Helen: "I've been thinking about it a lot this morning and feel that we shouldn't go."

Me: "OK. I trust your insight."

I'm not embarrassed to say that my wife is more in tune with spiritual promptings than I am. We have followed her promptings before and never been sorry.

Since we were off I decided that we needed to take the van to the shop to have the brakes serviced, which they needed. When the van call to let us know what the brake job would cost, I told Helen, "Don't be surprised if they say something about a fluid leak I've been seeing lately."

I didn't know what the leak was and had forgotten to mention it to them. Sure enough, they saw the leak and said it was the rack and pinion assembly that needed to be replaced. We trust the mechanic shop quite a bit and knew they were right. The repairs of the van, added to new u-joints on my truck last week meant that we spent about $1k on car repairs last week.

Now I can't say for sure that brakes and steering would have gone out on us high in the mountains of Texas or New Mexico, but I am positive that I'm glad I didn't have to put that to the test.

I wonder if Helen's insight extends to contests.... I'm sure it wouldn't work with the lottery, even if I did play, which I don't.

There will be other campouts.

Twist