Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Vote "For"...why?

There is a big issue going on in our city right now. People buy their alcohol out at "the strip." It's just outside the city limits on the highway south of town. Other options they have are to go to nearby towns which are within 5-10 miles away. Now the issue is on the ballet to allow alcohol sales inside the city limits. It's a no brainer for me to vote against this since I don't drink and don't think anyone else should either, but I had an interesting experience at a garage sale Saturday.

There was a pretty, young woman sitting at the garage sale. She was pretty, but not cute, with a hard, bitter look on her face. She was talking to another person there and said this:

"Of course I voted to allow liquor sales inside the city limits. Do you know how hard it is for a 16 year old to buy beer? They can't get to the strip and can't buy if they go. You have to get someone else to buy it for you. What a hassle. At least now that I'm 18 I can get a fake ID because I look old enough."

After that last sentence it was interesting to watch her expression as she saw my Deputy Sheriff belt buckle and quickly debated whether or not I was real in law enforcement.

Of course, I didn't say a word and just let her go on wondering.

Vote "NO." I did.

Twist