Friday, March 23, 2007

You Learn Something New....

Turns out you can learn something new every day. Sometimes I have trouble chewing gum and walking at the same time, but I didn't think it affected other areas. I went to a blood drive to donate and I knew you're not supposed to drink anything shortly before taking your temperature as it will make it lower, hiding possible infections. This is one of the reasons doctors make you wait so long in the waiting room before they see you. They want an accurate temperature reading. Knowing this, I decided to chew some gum so I wouldn't be thirsty while waiting for my turn. With the mint gum I like it gives the added bonus of halfway decent breath for the technicians who take your blood. What I didn't realize is that chewing gum, especially mint or cinnamon gum will raise your temperature in your mouth. My temperature tested at 100.4. The technician had me spit out my gum, but didn't wait long enough and my temperature only dropped 1 degree, which was still too high to donate. The CDC has mandated that they can only test you twice then you can't donate. So I learned this one thing now. Don't chew gum before you go to the doctor, however if you want a good excuse for not going to school........

Twist