Friday, February 29, 2008

It's Not....

"It's not the cough that carries you off.
It's the coffin they carry you off in."

That's one of my Mom & Dad's favorite funny sayings. That pretty much sums up my past two weeks. The flu left, but it didn't leave me alone. I'm into my 3rd week now living with the effects. Zinc lozenges help me tremendously when I have a cold, but I've tried so many types of medicines I've decided nothing really works for a cough, although I haven't tried Grandpa Twist's remedy. He had a honey/whiskey mix you take by a tablespoonful. No, it wasn't an excuse to drink whisky. You probably didn't get as much alchohol as in a dose of Nyquill. I've wondered about a honey, vinegar, lemon juice mix though.

What I'd really like to try is the sweat lodge cure. Get a good hot steam room with maybe some eucalyptus and menthol going on.

I'm open to suggestions.

Twist

5 comments:

Inside Stories said...

Dee Ice Hole and my former principal both swear by Fisherman's Friends. They come in a tin like Altoids and WalMart carries them.

Delirious said...

I have two suggestions. First, I developed asthma as an adult. Have you been checked for that? Second, ginger tea is really good for the lungs. I dont' like it with just sugar, so if you don't either, just boil some ginger, add a few pieces of pork, some soy sauce, and some noodles. Gives you the same ginger effect, but you get lunch at the same time. :)

Delirious said...

Oh, and leave out the sugar if you do the pork version...thought that was obvious, but it may not have been.

Stick said...

Gargle with some Habanero hot sauce. :o) Actually, try a Lemon Zinger Tea with honey. There is also a product out that you use in a hot shower called Shower Soothers. It is basically your sweat lodge idea, and has the eucalyptus in it.

Dee Ice Hole said...

for what you say you have try Alka Seltzer Plus---I onlyhve to take a coupe of doses and I'm well---well maybe I just don't want to take any more. Seriously try it---I swear by it.