Friday, January 26, 2007

Esophagastroduodenoscopy

Esophagastroduodenoscopy. I think I spelled that right. I just had one done this morning. A persistent pain in the pit of my stomach prompted me to get a checkup and one thing led to another until that procedure this morning.

I proudly told the nurse I could pronounce it, but she said, "Oh, we never try. We just call it an EGD."

Whether they gave me regular anaesthetics or milk of amnesia, 10 seconds after they put it in my IV the world went peaceful. I slept longer coming out than they would have liked, but when I got home I slept some more. I think that was the best part of the whole procedure. That was even nicer than the color pictures they gave me of my insides, which showed that most of my stomach is inflamed. No ulcers, but just sore all over.

The doctor prescribed prevacid. I had started taking some about 2 weeks ago and the pains have gone down quite a bit already. I asked for some sleeping pills to take the pain away. The doctor said that wouldn't help a bit, until I explained that all I would need to do is put one in my 16 year old daughter's drink every night then we could both get a good night's sleep and I'd quit worrying about how late she stays up.