Friday, March 28, 2008

Matchmaker, matchmaker

Several months back a couple of people came to my mind. I think it started when a young man returned from a mission and his mother accompanied him to hear his report to the Church leaders. Her husband left her a number of years ago and she raised her three boys by herself, including supporting all three as they served missions. As I thought about what a wonderful woman and mother she's been, I thought about a cousin of mine.

My cousin's wife died suddenly of cancer as a relatively young woman. The widower continued raising their children, but, living in a small town, life was much lonelier than before. As I thought about the two of them, I realized that they needed to be introduced. The thought would not leave me alone and I finally approacher her about the subect. She had not dated in many years and was very skittish about starting again. I couldn't talk her into getting me a photo to send to my cousin.

As her three sons are dating and contemplating their futures, my friend came to a realization that soon she would be totally alone again. This reality prompted her to rethink her potential future and she emailed me a picture of herself. I called my cousin and explained to him for the first time what I have been trying to organize. I was anxious and dreading the discussion, but he was totally open to begin a friendship via internet, phone, snail mail or whatever.

Will anything happen now? I hope so, but at least I have helped two people meet who would never have happened across each other any other way.

See you on down the trail,

Twist

6 comments:

Inside Stories said...

I hope that works out! He doesn't have many other options where he lives.

Nene said...

I'm so glad you did this! I remember you talking to me about it. Like you said, if nothing else, he has a friend.

Nene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nene said...

Sorry, had to delete the above one because it posted twice.

Delirious said...

Okay...I am not sure which cousin you are talking about. Is it R that lives across the street from mom and Dad? He's the only one I can think of who isn't in a relationship.

Epitome of Sweetness said...

In my experience, I have been very SORRY for playing match maker.
:)
Never again.