Friday, March 28, 2008

Matchmaker, matchmaker

Several months back a couple of people came to my mind. I think it started when a young man returned from a mission and his mother accompanied him to hear his report to the Church leaders. Her husband left her a number of years ago and she raised her three boys by herself, including supporting all three as they served missions. As I thought about what a wonderful woman and mother she's been, I thought about a cousin of mine.

My cousin's wife died suddenly of cancer as a relatively young woman. The widower continued raising their children, but, living in a small town, life was much lonelier than before. As I thought about the two of them, I realized that they needed to be introduced. The thought would not leave me alone and I finally approacher her about the subect. She had not dated in many years and was very skittish about starting again. I couldn't talk her into getting me a photo to send to my cousin.

As her three sons are dating and contemplating their futures, my friend came to a realization that soon she would be totally alone again. This reality prompted her to rethink her potential future and she emailed me a picture of herself. I called my cousin and explained to him for the first time what I have been trying to organize. I was anxious and dreading the discussion, but he was totally open to begin a friendship via internet, phone, snail mail or whatever.

Will anything happen now? I hope so, but at least I have helped two people meet who would never have happened across each other any other way.

See you on down the trail,

Twist